Employees may take paid personal/carer’s leave for the following reasons:
- because the employee is not fit for work because of a personal illness, or a personal injury, affecting the employee; or
- to provide care or support to a member of the employee’s immediate family, or a member of the employee’s household, who requires care or support because of:
- a personal illness, or personal injury, affecting the member; or
- an unexpected emergency affecting the member.
The following reasons, taken from examples we have gathered from member phone calls, are NOT eligible to be covered by personal/carer’s leave:
- attending a child’s ballet concert/swimming carnival/award ceremony/pony club
- being present for the birth of a grandchild
- shopping for bridesmaids shoes
- going on an overseas holiday
- moving house, and
- other similar purposes.