Should I get a medical certificate for my personal leave absence?

It is up to each employer to decide when an employee needs to provide evidence to support using paid or unpaid personal/carer’s leave.  The employer should have a policy regarding their evidence requirements. Medical certificates or statutory declarations are examples of acceptable forms of evidence that are suggested by the Fair Work Ombudsman. While there are no strict rules imposed under the National Employment Standards on the types of evidence that is required, it is stated that the evidence must convince a reasonable person that the employee was genuinely entitled to the sick or carer’s leave.